Learn how to best manage workplace issues surrounding an employee's gender transition.
Why Should You Attend
Although the transgender population is small, employers must still be prepared to handle workplace issues related to transgender employees. How an employer handles an employee's transition has potential legal implications, as well as an impact on the transitioning employee and his or her co-workers. Employers who are unprepared to handle a gender transition are likely to face not only employee relations issues but also discrimination claims.
This webinar examines how employers can best manage the workplace issues surrounding an employee's gender transition.
- What is Transgender?
- The business case for inclusion
- Reviewing and updating existing policies/practices for gender neutrality
- Benefits Issues
- Disclosure before, during or after an interview
- HR’s role in navigating the transition process
- Review of federal anti-discrimination protections
- Review of state and local laws and how they apply
- Understanding what transgender is and how it differs from LGBQ
- Understanding your role
- Identify what policy/practices should be reviewed to reduce risk
- How to create a gender transition plan and what it should cover
- How to address benefits issues
- Best practices for managing questions and reactions from co-workers
Who Will Benefit
- HR professionals
- In-house counsel
- Outside counsel
- Employee assistance program staff
- Small business owners
Kristin Robinson, MBA, SPHR, is president of Cadence Human Resource Management, LLC, an HR consultancy group working with companies of all sizes and industries to strengthen their human resources function. Cadence is an integrated partner with the company’s leadership, focused on delivering measurable results with highly creative, non-conventional tools and ideas to get to the next level focusing on HR compliance and HR processes/procedures.
This course has been pre-approved by HRCI as eligible for 1 credit towards a participant's recertification upon full completion.